Real-Time Automated Change Detection and Classification System
Click to view larger
Description:The Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) has developed a process for change detection in real-time using automated change detection algorithms that suggest image changes in geospatial locations. The invention is directed to a system for processing real-time side scan sonar imagery (SSI) where historical SSI of the same geospatial location is converted into area-based tiles, compared to real-time SSI for the same geospatial location and displaying digital change detections. The system rotates historical SSI data to match real-time SSI headings and provides features of various shapes and sizes of newly detected objects or changes in historical objects.
- Able to flag newly detected objects in real-time for further investigation
- Detects changes to known bottom objects
- Applicable to other imaging process for detecting changes in geospatial locations
- Port and shipping lane security
- Search and Rescue
- Salvage operations
- Land based object detection
- Oceanographic and geographic research
- "The Automated Change Detection and Classification Real-Time," Oceans 2007 Europe, June 18-21, 2007, p1-4.
Click here for a more detailed PDF version of this technology.
Contact:Naval Research Laboratory
Technology Transfer Office, Code 1004