The Electronic Warfare Support Measures (ESM) Branch is engaged in the research and development (R&D) of advanced passive electronic warfare systems. Code 5720 employees conduct R&D, prototype design, and operational testing of ESM systems/subsystems associated with all disciplines of modern ESM systems.
Research Activity Areas:
- Digital Receiver Design and Implementation
- Advanced Digital Signal Processing
- Precision Direction Finding (PDF) Techniques
- Precision Passive Geolocation Techniques
- Miniaturized ES Payloads for Unmanned Platforms
- RF Design (Board and System Level)
- RF ASIC Design
The ESM Branch at NRL has a long history of directly supporting the warfighter through a combination of long term system developments as well as the delivery of quick reaction capabilities (QRC). The ESM Branch also provides support to the Intelligence Community, particularly in the area of special signal collection.
NRL ESM Branch scientists aim to make immediate and long-range contributions to the advancement of Navy EW programs. These R&D programs apply state-of-the-art techniques and system concepts to optimally achieve program objectives. These development efforts encompass all related phases of engineering including applied research of emerging techniques and components, conceptual design and analysis, detailed hardware/software design, modeling and simulation, and prototype development.
- Code 5720 - Electronic Warfare Support Measures (ESM) Branch
- Code 5721 - Information Extraction Section
- Code 5723 - Environmental Modeling and Simulation Section
- Code 5724 - Systems Automation Section
- Code 5726 - Receiver Technology Section