NRL has developed an intense pulsed X-ray source for remote imaging of small parts, examination of biological specimens, and calibration and testing of X-ray detectors, X-ray optics and X-ray CCD imaging arrays. Applications of this technology include:
- in situ testing of X-ray detectors and CCD imaging arrays;
- dental X-ray imaging in remote locations;
- in situ examination of injured human extremities;
- complete elimination of motion blurring to allow imaging of small animals without anesthesia; and
- on-site examination of small archeological artifacts when used with a CCD imaging panel and laptop computer.