High Performance Single-Component (1K) Polysiloxane Topside Coatings
The U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) has developed a new class of high performance, single-component (1K) polysiloxane topside coatings. These coatings are intended to be used on exterior applications where superior weathering resistance and durability are required. Substrates to which these coatings can be applied include wood, glass, metal, and structural plastics. Application can be by brush, roll, or spray, leaving no lingering odor and cleanup simply requires lacquer thinner. If applied in thin coats, ~ 2-4 mils, the surface will be dry and ready for additional coats within 30-45 minutes. Surfaces can be handled, including sanding, within 6-8 hours and will reach full hardness after 7 days. This new topside coating is chemical resistant to fuels, most solvents, and > 250 methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) double rub resistance after 24 hours.
What is it?
A new class of fast drying, single-component (1K) polysiloxane-based topside coatings.
How does it work?
Requiring no mixing, this one-part, single-component coating can be applied by brush roll or spray, leaves no odor, and is fast drying.
What will it accomplish?
The polysiloxane-based, high-performance formulations are intended to be used where superior weathering resistance and durability are required. Coatings can be applied to protect wood, glass, metal, and structural plastics.
- Base resin is solvent-free, lending to a very low, if detectable odor, or volatile organic chemicals (VOCs). Coatings can be formulated at < 250 g/L VOC.
- High-performance coatings can be applied by a roll brush or by spray, reaching full hardness after 7 days. Multiple thin layers can be applied within 30-40 minutes of drying between coats. Handling, including sanding, can be prepared after 6-8 hours.
- Lacquer thinner can be used as the traditional cleanup.
- Polysiloxane 1K coating is resistant to most chemicals, fuels, and solvents.
- Coating can be tailored to possess a desired flexibility driven by application.
These new polysiloxane 1K coatings are intended to be used in exterior applications where superior weathering resistance and durability are required; including both military and commercial industries: automobile, maritime, sports equipment, outdoor furniture, oil & gas rigging/platforms, wind and renewable energy equipment, and bridge/structural beam coatings.
Licensing and Collaboration Opportunities
US Patent Publication No. US20160230042 is available for license to companies with commercial interest. Collaborative research and development is available under a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA).