Pathways Internship Program
- Post Docs
- STEM Student Employment Program (SSEP)
- Pathways Internships
- Student Volunteers
- Naval Research Enterprise Intern Program (NREIP)
- Science and Engineering Apprentice Program (SEAP)
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowships
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) and Minority Institutions (MI)
- Direct Hire Authority for Post-Secondary Students (PSS)
- About NRL
- Doing Business
- Public Affairs & Media
- Field Sites
- Visitor Info
- Contact NRL
This program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school and while getting paid for the work performed. Students can work full-time or part-time as temporary or non-temporary interns. Students must be continuously enrolled on at least a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution and be at least 16 years of age. Student interns on appointments scheduled to last longer than 90 days will earn 4 hours of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave each pay period.
Applications will normally be collected on a quarterly basis. The following vacancy announcement schedule will be used for recruiting our student intern positions:
- March 13-15 2018
- May 15-17 2018
- Aug 14-16 2018
- Nov 13-15 2018
In preparation for the announcement openings, students are encouraged to establish their USAJobs account and prepare their resume in advance. Students MUST apply to vacancy announcements in order to be considered for a Pathways intern position.
How to apply for NRL Pathways Intern opportunities:
- Access USAJOBS via http://www.usajobs.gov to create an account.
- In the “Keyword” box on the Home page, enter “NRL Intern.”
- Select the NRL Intern position(s) in which you wish to apply.
- Click “Apply Now.”
Temporary Interns (summer or short-term):
Interns can be hired on a temporary basis for up to one year for an initial period and may be extended for one additional year.
Non-temporary interns may be converted to a permanent position within 120 days of successful completion of the program. To be eligible for conversion, Interns must complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program, complete their degree or certificate requirements, and meet the qualification standards for the position to which the Intern will be converted. Conversion is not guaranteed or mandatory.
Non-temporary and temporary interns hired into the NP track (S&E majors) must maintain a 3.0 GPA (based on 4.0 scale) in a related degree field to maintain eligibility as an intern. Interns hired into positions in the NR (S&E Technical), NO (Administrative Professional), and NC (Administrative Support) are required to maintain a 2.5 GPA (based on 4.0 scale).
Tuition Assistance for Non-temporary Interns
Non-temporary interns are eligible for payment of school tuition and books, provided the following conditions are met:
- The student is hired into an intern position in a hard-to-fill occupation (i.e., engineering, computer science, physical sciences.)
- The division in which the student is employed fully intends to convert the student to a permanent position upon graduation.
- The student agrees in writing that upon graduation, he/she will continue to work at NRL for a period equal to three times the length of time for which tuition assistance was paid.
Tuition is not a guaranteed benefit for non-temporary interns. Payment for tuition must be recommended by the student’s supervisor.
Contact NRL's Human Resources Office at (202)767-3031 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.