STEM Student Employment Program (SSEP)
- Post Docs
- STEM Student Employment Program (SSEP)
- Pathways Internships
- Student Volunteers
- Naval Research Enterprise Intern Program (NREIP)
- Science and Engineering Apprentice Program (SEAP)
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowships
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) and Minority Institutions (MI)
- Direct Hire Authority for Post-Secondary Students (PSS)
- About NRL
- Doing Business
- Public Affairs & Media
- Field Sites
- Visitor Info
- Contact NRL
This program is a direct hire authority for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students enrolled in scientific, technical, engineering, or mathematics majors. Students must be continuously enrolled on at least a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution and be at least 16 years of age.
Applications are accepted year-round. Interested applicants should email their resume and transcripts to: SSEP@hro1.nrl.navy.mil. Please do NOT include social security numbers or date of birth. Please password protect your documents and send the password in a separate email. All applications and supporting documentation become the property of the Department of Navy and will not be returned once submitted.
Appointments can be to NP or NR career track positions. Appointment duration can be temporary (NTE 1 year), term (up to 4 years), or flexible length term (expire 120 days after completion of the degree requirements). For students pursuing degrees that do not meet the OPM science and engineering qualifications requirements, appointments will be made to NR career track positions that are temporary (NTE 1 year).
Students can work full-time or part-time. Students may work year-round or during the summers and go on LWOP to return to school in the fall and spring.
Students in all NP positions, and in NR positions under term or flexible length term appointments may be noncompetitively converted to a permanent NP career track position provided the OPM science and engineering qualification requirements are met and the candidate is otherwise eligible.
Students will earn 4 hours of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave each pay period (prorated for part-time work schedules). Students may also be eligible for tuition assistance and/or relocation expenses.
Students in the NP track (S&E majors) must maintain a 3.0 GPA (based on 4.0 scale) and students in the NR track (S&E Technical) are required to maintain a 2.5 GPA (based on 4.0 scale).
Students are eligible for payment of school tuition and books, provided the following conditions are met:
- The student is pursuing a STEM major that meets OPM science and engineering qualifications requirements.
- The division in which the student is employed fully intends to convert the student to a permanent position upon graduation.
- The student agrees in writing that upon graduation, he/she will continue to work at NRL for a period equal to three times the length of time for which tuition assistance was paid.
Tuition is not a guaranteed benefit. Payment for tuition must be recommended by the student’s supervisor.
Contact NRL’s Human Resources Office at (202)767-3031 or by email SSEP@hro1.nrl.navy.mil.
NRL participates in E-Verify