Freedom of Information Act - The NRL Office of Counsel is responsible for processing FOIA requests. FOIA allows members of the public to obtain a wide range of records from federal agencies. In most cases, NRL records are subject to the provisions of the Privacy Act, with releasable records subject to the restrictions set forth in those laws.
Requests for NRL records can include NRL contracts, final reports or grant information. FOIA clearly states that records must exist at the time of the request. Also, agencies are not required to create a record to comply with your request. NRL follows SECNAV M-5210.1 Records Management Manual for records retention.
NRL does not house records concerning military service. Military service records are available from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), National Personnel Records Center. If seeking NRL employee verification information, please click here.
Submitting a FOIA Request
Please choose ONLY ONE of the following options when submitting an NRL FOIA request *
Fax: (202) 404-8317
Mail: U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
Freedom of Information Office, Code 1008.1
4555 Overlook Ave SW
Washington D.C. 20375
* Click here for a sample FOIA request letter
Please note that NRL contracts begin with N00173. If the contract you seek does not begin with NRL's contract code, then you will need to send your request to another Navy command or agency (see below for more information).
- Information related to an Office of Naval Research (ONR) Record or contracts beginning with N00014
- A specific ship or ship related mission or contracts beginning with N00024
- A specific aircraft or aircraft related mission or contracts beginning with N00019
- A specific Navy facility or contracts beginning with N00025
- Information related to Law Enforcement records
Commander, Naval District Washington
Regional Legal Office
Attn: FOIA Coordinator
1343 Dahlgren Avenue, SE
Bldg. 1, 1st Floor
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374
Phone: (202) 433.4133
Fax: (202) 433.0530