Phone: (202) 404-6012
The Center for Bio/Molecular Science and Engineering applies knowledge in modern biology, physics, chemistry, and engineering to the solution of problems important to the Navy, Department of Defense, and the Nation. The Center studies complex bio/molecular systems to understand how biology solves difficult structural, functional and sensing problems. Technological areas currently being studied include molecular and microstructure design, molecular biology, imaging of cells using nanoparticles, sensor design and prototype development for biosurveillance or underwater chemical detection, and energy harvesting. The Center provides a stimulating environment for cross-disciplinary programs in the areas of immunology, biochemistry, systems biology, electrochemistry, synthetic chemistry, microbiology, microlithography, photochemistry, biophysics, spectroscopy, advanced diagnostics, organic synthesis, and electro-optical engineering.
The Center’s modern facilities include general laboratories for research in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, and physics. Specialized areas include an electron microscope facility, a scanning probe microscope laboratory, instrument rooms with access to a variety of spectrophotometers, and an optical microscope facility including polarization, fluorescence and confocal microscopes. Additional laboratories accommodate nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR), a liquid chromatograph–mass spectrometer (LCMS), and equipment for biosensor programs, including a plastic micro-fabrication facility to enable fabrication of micro-fluidic and micro-optical systems in polymers. The Center also maintains X-ray diffraction systems for crystallographic studies.
- Senior Scientist for Biosurveillance - serves as the technical expert in the fields of broad-spectrum pathogen identification, bioinformatics, and biosensor deployment.
- Senior Scientist for Biosensors and Biomaterials - conducts research and development using biotechnological approaches for solving problems of the Navy, Department of Defense, and the Nation at large.
- Laboratory for Bio/Nano Science and Technology
- Laboratory for Biomaterials and Systems
- Laboratory for Molecular Interfacial Interfaces