From basic research through engineering development, the Systems Directorate expands operational capabilities and provides materiel support to Fleet and Marine Corps missions. The emphasis is on technology, devices, systems, and know-how to acquire and move warfighting information and to deny these capabilities to the enemy.
Current activities include new and improved radar, optical sensors and optics-based sensors, advanced electronic support measures techniques; electronic warfare systems, techniques, and devices; innovative designs for reduced observables; techniques and devices to disable and/or confuse enemy sensors and information systems; small "intelligent"/autonomous land, sea, or air vehicles; and high performance/high assurance computing.
The Directorate also provides Laboratory support in technical information collection and distribution; and coordination of Lab-wide efforts in signature technology, counter-signature technology, theater missile defense, and the Naval Science Assistance Program.
- Radar, 5300
- Analysis, 5310
- Advanced Radar Systems, 5320
- Surveillance Technology, 5340
- Information Technology, 5500
- Free Space Photonics Communications Office, 5505
- Navy Center for Applied Research In Artificial Intelligence, 5510
- Networks and Communication Systems, 5520
- Center For High Assurance Computer Systems, 5540
- Transmission Technology, 5550
- Information Management and Decision Architectures, 5580
- Center For Computational Science, 5590
- Optical Sciences, 5600
- Tactical Electronic Warfare, 5700
- EW Strategic Planning Organization, 5701
- Signature Technology Office, 5708
- Offboard Countermeasures, 5710
- Electronic Warfare Support Measures, 5720
- Aerospace Electronic Warfare Systems, 5730
- Surface Electronic Warfare Systems, 5740
- Advanced Techniques, 5750
- Integrated Electronic Warfare Simulation, 5760
- EW Modeling/Simulation, 5770
Dr. Gerald M. Borsuk is the Associate Director of Research for the Systems Directorate.